- Plain flour-3/4 cup
- Butter(cut into small pieces)-125 grams
- Light brown sugar- 4 tbsp
For caramel filling
- Sugar-2 to 2 1/2 tbsp
- Butter-1 tbsp
- Condensed milk-200gm
- Vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp
- Caramelized nuts-1/2 to 3/4cup
- Melted Plain chocolate(optional)
- Line a square cake tin(20 cm) with baking paper.Keep aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your finger tips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
- Press the dough into the base of the prepared cake tin and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven,190 deg for 20 minutes or until light and golden.Leave it to cool in the tin.
- Heat sugar in a heavy bottomed pan ,lightly swirl the pan as it starts to melt.
- Cook until it is completely melted and the color changes to brown.
- Now add the butter,and whisk until the butter is melted and both the ingredients are combined.
- Now slowly add the condensed milk , whisking as you do so.Bring slowly to the boil over a very low heat,then boil very gently for 3-4 minutes,stirring constantly,until the filling has thickened.
- Add vanilla essence ,mix well and pour this caramel filling over the cooled base in the tin ,smooth with a palette knife.Leave to set.
- Scatter the caramelized nuts over the caramel filling and drizzle melted chocolate on top if desired.
- Cut into squares to serve.