For sweet tart dough
- All purpose flour-1 1/2 cups
- Confectioner’s sugar-1/2 cup
- Salt-1/4 tsp
- Butter(unsalted- cut into small pieces)-9 tbsp
- Egg yolk- 1 large
- Combine all purpose flour,sugar and salt.Add butter and mix it lightly using your finger tips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add egg yolk and mix well using a fork.
- Turn the dough onto a clean surface and lightly knead the dough until it comes together.(add 1 or 2 tbsp of ice cold water if the dough is too dry)
- Press the dough into a buttered tart pan (check this one from amazon).
- Prick the bottom with a fork for a few times and freeze the crust for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375deg F .
- Lightly butter an aluminium foil and press the buttered side down onto the crust, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the foil .If the crust has puffed up,lightly press with th back of a spoon and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes or until it is firm and golden.
For Pastry cream
- Whole milk- 2 cups
- Sugar-1/2 cup+1 tbsp
- Eggs-2 large
- Unsalted butter- 4tbsp
- Salt-1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch-3 tbsp
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Pour milk into a heavy sauce pan .Add salt and bring to just under a boil ,stirring occasionally.
- Mix together sugar,cornstarch and eggs until combined.
- Slowly pour 1/2 cup milk into the egg mixture,whisking as you do so.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the hot milk and cook until thick ,whisking continuously.
- Switch off the flame and add vanilla extract and butter,mix well.Allow to cool for 10 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Cover the pastry cream with a plastic wrap, directly over the top of the pastry cream to prevent skin formation.
- Put in the refrigerator to cool.
Fill the crust with pastry cream and arrange sliced strawberries( almost 10 to 15 nos) over the pastry cream in a circle and serve.