- Mutton-1/2 kg
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs or more
- Onion ( sliced)-2 nos( medium)
- Shallots( sliced)-10 to 12 nos
- Ginger and garlic( chopped)- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Fennel powder-1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil( or any other vegetable oil)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves( chopped)-1/4 cup
- Mint leaves- 4 to 5 nos( optional)
- Green chilies- 2 nos( or according to taste)
- Whole black pepper- 2 tsp( adjust according to taste)
- Ginger ( 1″ piece)- 2 nos
- Garlic( Indian )- 8 to 10 cloves
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a blender,combine together the ingredients for marination and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Rub this onto the mutton pieces and keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Now add curry leaves,onion and shallots.Saute until it turns golden brown.Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Now reduce the flame to low and add the coriander,turmeric,garam masala and fennel powder along with 2 tbsp of water and mix well.Saute until oil separates for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marinated mutton pieces and mix well.Pour in required amount of water ( appr 1 1/2 cups) and salt to taste.Cover and cook over a medium flame until mutton is done.
- Cook until all the water is absorbed .When it is almost dry add 1/4 tsp garam masala and more curry leaves.
- Continue frying ,stirring in between ( drizzle more oil if required) until it turns brown.
Note: You can also use a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time.In that case when the mutton is cooked transfer it to a non stick pan for frying.