- Milk- 1 1/2 cup
- Light cream- 1 cup
- Cornflour- 3 tbsp
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla pod- 1 or vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Dulce de leche-1 to 2 tbsp ( see note)
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Mix cornflour with 1/4 cup milk and keep aside.
- In a saucepan add rest of the milk,cream ,sugar and salt .If you are using vanilla pod,cut it into two, lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the milk mixture along with the pod.Cook this over medium low heat until it begins to steam.
- Now remove the vanilla pod and add the cornflour mixture,stirring well as you do so.
- Bring this to just under a boil,stirring continuously.
- Now reduce the flame to low and cook for 5 minutes or until the milk mixture thickens.
- If you are using vanilla extract ,add it and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a wide container .Allow it to cool well.
- Cover and place the container in the refrigerator to chill for 30-40 minutes.
- Take the container out ,now it should have just started freezing from the outside edges.
- Using a wooden spatula or a sturdy whisk( a hand blender works really well),beat the mixture well to make it smooth once again.Put it in the freezer.
- Continue to check every 30- 40 minutes ,stirring well as it is freezing .( repeat this process 3 to 4 times)
- After the final mixing ,once the mixture is soft,add the dulce de leche 1 tsp at a time and fold in lightly for just two or three times.Put it back in the freezer until it is firm.
Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
Check this link to see 5 different ways to make homemade Dulce De Leche.