Steamed chocolate cake
Recipe adapted from www.bestrecipes.com .You can find the original recipe here
- All purpose flour–
- Cocoa powder–
- Baking soda–
- Instant coffee powder–
1/4 to 1/2 tsp( optional)
- Vanilla extract–
- White vinegar–
- Lightly brush the sides and bottom of the baking tray with oil.Line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl,whisk together all purpose flour,sugar,cocoa powder,baking soda,salt and coffee powder(if using).Keep aside.
- In another mixing bowl,combine together water,oil,vanilla and white vinegar.
- Add this to the prepared dry ingredients.
- Mix gently with a spatula ( or a whisk), just until combined.Do not over mix.
- Immediately transfer this to the prepared cake pan.Do not fill more than half of the pan.
- Cover the top loosely with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Place the cake pan in the steamer.Cover the steamer and steam for about 40 minutes,or until a skewer inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake pan from the steamer.Allow it to cool completely .Then carefully run a knife around the inside edge of the pan,and transfer to a serving dish.
- If wished decorate with chocolate ganache.
- Line the sides and the bottom of the cake tin with parchment paper ,for cleaner sides.I did not line the sides of the pan and as you can see the sides are not that pretty.
- You can also bake the cake ,if desired,Bake at 180 deg c for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- I used whole wheat flour for the cake( in the pic), the texture will be much better than this ,if you use all purpose flour.
- You can double the recipe for an 8″ cake.
- Allow it to cool completely before slicing with a serrated knife.For perfect slices ,chill the cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Sending this to Recipe sharing monday at Jam hands