Easy Chicken Pepper Fry
Spicy kerala style chicken pepper fry.
Recipe source:Taste of Kerala
Prep Time: 30 to 40minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Chicken,cut into small pieces – 400 to 500 gms
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Lemon juice- 2 to 3 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut slices – 1/4 cup
- Black Pepper powder- 1.5 to 2 tsp( according to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1 pinch
- Sliced onion- 1 or 2 tbsp ( optional)
- Salt- to taste
For masala paste:
- Shallots – 6 to 7
- Ginger – 1.5″ piece
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Tomato,diced- 1 small
- Green chilies- 2
Combine chicken with turmeric powder ,curry leaves ,lemon juice and salt to taste.Marinate for about 30 minutes.In a blender,combine together all the ingredients listed under ” For masala paste” and grind to form a paste.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan /non-stick pan.Add the masala paste and cook for about 5 minutes or until the raw smell leaves.
When the masala is cooked add the marinated chicken and mix well.Cook for about 5 minutes,mixing well in between.Add more salt as required.
Now add coriander powder and mix well.Cover and cook until chicken is 3/4 cooked and gravy coats the chicken pieces.
Now add the coconut slices and mix well.Cook until chicken is done and turns slightly darker in colour.
Now add black pepper powder to taste and mix well.Cook for few more minutes,stirring gently in between until the chicken pieces are browned evenly.
Next add garam masala and stir gently until combined.Finally add fenugreek powder and mix well.
Switch off the stove.Add sliced onion ( if desired) and mix well.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper powder according to your taste.For best results use freshly ground pepper powder.
- I used 400 gms chicken.For best results use chicken thigh cut into small pieces.