Nadan Chicken Curry
Kerala style spicy Chicken curry.
Cooking Time: 50 to 60 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Chicken,medium pieces- 600 to 700 gms
- Ginger,finely chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Garlic ,finely chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Shallots,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Onion ,sliced – 2 cups ( 2 large)
- Coconut,sliced – 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1.5 tbsp(see notes)
- Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
- Tomato ,chopped – 1/2 cup( 1 medium)
- Hot water – as required
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger -garlic paste – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water -2 to 3 tsp
In a bowl add the chicken along with the all the ingredients listed under ‘ for marination’.Keep aside for about 20 to 30 minutes.Heat oil a manchatti/clay pot.Add garlic,ginger, green chilies ,curry leaves and shallots
Saute until shallots turn soft.Next add onion and mix well.
Add coconut slices and saute until onion turns soft and golden brown.( for about 20 to 25 minutes over medium low flame.Add 2 to 3 tbsp of water in between so as to avoid burning)
Now reduce the flame to low, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri chili powder and garam masala powder.Mix well until combined.Saute till raw smell leaves.
Add tomato and mix well until combined.Cook over medium flame until tomato turns mushy.Stir well in between to avoid burning.
Next add the marinated chicken.Add more salt if required.Mix well.
Add sufficient quantity of hot water.Stir gently,cover and cook until chicken is tender.(Make sure you stir well in between to avoid burning)
Uncover and cook until the gravy turns slightly thick.Switch off the stove and add more curry leaves and drizzle 1 tsp coconut oil on top.Serve with rice / appam /chapathi.
- For best results , use homemade garam masala , you can find the recipe here.
- I used 2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder as we wanted it really spicy.Adjust the amount of Kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.