Kerala Mango Pickle
Quick and easy Kerala style mango pickle.
Prep Time: 15 minutes .
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Make: approx7 cups
- Raw mango,chopped- 1Kg(approx 6 and 1/2 cups)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 7 to 8 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 3/4tsp
- Vinegar- 1/4 cup(or according to taste,depending upon the sourness of the mangoes)
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves- one handful
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame oil – as required
Sprinkle salt over the chopped mangoes,mix well and keep aside for about 15 minutes ,until water oozes out.
Drain this excess liquid ,set aside until required.In a bowl combine together kashmiri chili powder,fenugreek powder ,turmeric powder ,salt and vinegar.
Add 1 or 2 tbsp of the drained liquid and mix to form a thick paste.Heat sesame oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
Add curry leaves and asafoetida powder and switch off the stove.Immediately add the prepared masala paste into the hot oil.Stir continuously to avoid burning.
Now add the remaining liquid from the mangoes( if there is not much liquid left,you may add boiled water,about 1/2cup or more depending on the consistency required) and switch on the stove and bring it to a boil.Now switch off the stove and allow this to cool completely before adding the chopped mango.
Add the chopped mango into the masala and stir well until combined.Add more salt if required.Transfer into a clean,dry glass jar.
- Store at room temperature for upto a week or 2 .Heat 2 to 3 tbsp of sesame oil and pour over the pickle ,allow to cool completely and close with a tight lid.This helps to increase its shelf life.
- Store in a refrigerator for long term use.
- Adjust the quantity of vinegar according to your taste.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml