Kerala Mango Pickle|Nadan Manga Achar|Nadan Manga Curry-Learn how to prepare spicy Kerala style Mango pickle
Quick and easy Kerala style mango pickle.
Prep Time: 15 minutes .
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Make: approx7 cups
- Raw mango,chopped- 1Kg(approx 6 and 1/2 cups)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 7 to 8 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 3/4tsp
- Vinegar- 1/4 cup(or according to taste,depending upon the sourness of the mangoes)
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves- one handful
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame oil – as required
- Sprinkle salt over the chopped mangoes,mix well and keep aside for about 15 minutes ,until water oozes out.
- Drain this excess liquid ,set aside until required.In a bowl combine together kashmiri chili powder,fenugreek powder ,turmeric powder ,salt and vinegar.
- Add 1 or 2 tbsp of the drained liquid and mix to form a thick paste.Heat sesame oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and asafoetida powder and switch off the stove.Immediately add the prepared masala paste into the hot oil.Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Now add the remaining liquid from the mangoes( if there is not much liquid left,you may add boiled water,about 1/2cup or more depending on the consistency required) and switch on the stove and bring it to a boil.Now switch off the stove and allow this to cool completely before adding the chopped mango.
- Add the chopped mango into the masala and stir well until combined.Add more salt if required.Transfer into a clean,dry glass jar.
- Store at room temperature for upto a week or 2 .Heat 2 to 3 tbsp of sesame oil and pour over the pickle ,allow to cool completely and close with a tight lid.This helps to increase its shelf life.
- Store in a refrigerator for long term use.
- Adjust the quantity of vinegar according to your taste.
- Click here for more Kerala Sadhya recipes
- 1 cup equals 250 ml