Learn how to make soft ragi idli-A popular South Indian breakfast dish.
Soft Ragi Idli
Nutritious and protein packed idli made using finger millet/ragi
- 1 and 1/2 cups Ragi/Finger millet
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 1/3 cup Poha/Aval
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash and soak ragi,urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in plenty of water for about 4 to 5 hours.After the soaking time give a quick rinse and set aside.Meanwhile soak the poha for about 20 to 30 minutes.In a blender add the drained ragi,urad dal ,fenugreek seeds and poha with just enough water to grind to form a smooth and thick batter.Transfer the batter into a large bowl.Add salt and mix well until combined.Allow this batter to ferment for about 12 to 14 hours depenting on room temperature.
- Once the batter is fermented,pour the batter into greased idli molds .
- Cover and steam for about 15 minutes .Allow to cool for 1 or 2 minutes before removing the idlis from the molds.Serve with chutney,sambar.
- 1 cup=250 ml
- This batter can also be used to prepare dosas.In that case add more water to attain a pouring consistency.
- The leftover batter can be refrigerated for upto 3 days.