Ragi Ladoo/Finger millet Energy Balls-Rich in calcium,iron and minerals this delicious Ragi ladoo is an excellent snack option for toddlers/kids.
- 1 cup Ragi flour or sprouted ragi flour
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 1/4 cup Cashew nut
- 1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts ( see notes)
- 1/4 cup White sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup Jaggery powder/cane sugar
- 3 pods Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Ghee (or as required)
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a heavy bottomed pan .Roast the ragi flour over medium low flame for about 8 to 10 minutes until it turns fragrant .To check if it is done ,do a taste test and it should have a nutty taste.Continue roasting the flour if it still has a raw taste.Make sure you stir the flour continuously while roasting in order to avoid burning.Transfer the roasted ragi flour into a large dish and allow to cool completely.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and add the almonds,cashews and peanuts.Roast the nuts until it turns slightly golden.Now reduce the flame to low and add the sesame seeds and cardamom pods.Stir well and cook for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.Add this to the dish containing the roasted ragi and allow to cool slightly.
- Now add the cane sugar / jaggery and mix well.
- Add this mixture into a blender and grind to form a fine powder ,in 2 or 3 batches.Transfer this mixture into a large dish.Add 1 or 2 tsp of ghee and mix well using your finger tips.Take a handful of the powdered mix and press firmly to form a round shape.Finally roll this prepared laddu between your palms to make it smooth and even.( if the mixture feels dry ,add 1 or 2 tsp ofg ghee and try shaping the laddus.Store in an airtight container for upto 4 days
- 1 cup=250 ml
- Adjust the proportion of almonds ,cashews ,peanuts and sesame seeds according to your taste.Together the quantity of the nuts/seeds should be 1 cup.For eg you can use 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup cashews and completely avoid peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Do not increase the quantity of sesame seeds more than 1/4 cup .If you do so the laddus may turn slightly bitter.
- Peanuts with skin can also be used for this recipe.
MORE RAGI RECIPES