- Tuvara parippu/Tuvar dal- 1/2 cup
- Shallots(cut lenghtwise)-1cup
- Onion cubed- 1 small
- Carrot cubed-1/2 cup(optional)
- Green chilies(cut lenghtwise)-2-3 nos
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Tomatoes (cut into 4 pieces)-1 large
- Ladies finger/okra/vendakka (cut into 2″ pieces)-3 nos
- Sambar powder- 2 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder- a pinch
- Chili powder- 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind – 1 1/2 tsp(or tamarind pulp-1 tsp)
- Corriander leaves- chopped
- Mustard seeds
- Red chilies-2 nos
- Shallots/chumannulli(sliced)-3 -4 nos
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice.keep aside.
- Pressure cook ingredients 1 to 7( tuvara parippu,shallots,onion,carrot,green chilies,turmeric powder,curry leaves) with enough water and salt to taste for 2-3 whistles.
- When it is done allow to cool ,and open the lid .
- Place the cooker back on to the stove,add ingredients 8 to 13(tomatoes,ladies finger ,sambar powder,asafoetida powder,chili powder and tamarind pulp/juice) .Cook on low fire till done.Add chopped corriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves,red chilies,and shallots.Saute till shallots turn golden brown.
- Pour it over the sambar.
Serve with rice ,dosa or idli.
Find more Kerala Vegetarian recipes here.
Recipe :Amma’s special
Sending this to Bookmared recipe event hosted by Aipi and Priya