Kerala Fish Curry- Meen Mulakittathu.
- Fish-medium size pieces-500 gms
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Shallots,sliced-4 to 5 nos
- Ginger,crushed-1.5 tsp
- Garlic,crushed-1.5 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1.5 to 2 tbsp( see notes)
- Coriander powder-1/2 to 1 tbsp( see notes)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder-1 pinch
- Fish Tamarind(Kudampuli)-soaked in water-2 to 3 small pieces
- Water-1 cup(more if required,see notes)
- Salt-to taste
- Oil-as required
- Heat oil in manchatti ( clay pot) and add mustard seeds,let it splutter.Add fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves,shallots,ginger and garlic.Saute until shallots turn golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low and add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and fenugreek powder.Mix well.Saute for about 5 minutes ,stirring continuously until the colour changes to a deep maroon.( make sure you do not burn the masala,or else the curry will taste bitter)
- Add water and fish tamarind ( kudampuli),bring it to a boil.
- Add fish pieces and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat ,until fish is cooked and gravy is thick.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for at least one hour for the flavors to blend in.
Serve with rice or kappa (tapioca) vevichathu .
- If you feel that the curry is a bit too tangy,remove the kokum pieces.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.Kashmiri chili powder gives a nice red colour to the curry without being too spicy.I used about 2 tbsp of kashmiri chili powder.If you are using regular chili powder,use according to your spice level.
- If you want to keep the curry for more than one day,avoid using coriander powder.
- Adjust the quantity of water according to amount and consistency of the gravy that you require.I used about 1 and 1/4 cups of water.