Thattukada style beef curry
Recipe adapted from : Marias Menu,you can find the original recipe here.
Spicy Kerala style beef curry
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Beef,cut into cubes- 1/2 Kg
- Onion,sliced-2 medium
- Ginger ,finely chopped- 1 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically- 2 nos
- Curry leaves-3 to 4 sprigs
- Water-1 cup( or as required)
- Coconut oil- as required
- Salt- to taste
To grind together:
- Ginger,chopped-1 tbsp
- Garlic,chopped-1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-3/4 to 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Cloves-2 nos
- Cardamom-2 nos
- Star anise- 1 small
- Whole black pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Combine all the ingredients listed under ‘ to grind together’ in a blender.Grind it to a paste.
- Heat oil in pan/pressure cooker.Add sliced onion,ginger,green chilies and curry leaves.Saute until onion turns translucent.
- Now add the ground masala and fry until oil starts to seperate.
- Add beef and mix well.Add water and salt to taste,cover and cook until beef is done.Uncover and cook for few more minutes or until gravy turns thick.
- Serve with rice /porotta /puttu or tapioca.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper according to your taste.
- Garnish with green chilies ,if desired.
- Click here for more Kerala non vegetarian recipes.