- Fish cut into medium size pieces- 10 to 12 pieces
- Shallots/Chumannulli (sliced)-10 nos
- Ginger and garlic crushed-1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder/Uluva podi- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Coriander powder- 3/4 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 1/2 tbsp
- Tomato chopped- 1 small
- Kudampuli/Kokum soaked in water- 2 -3 pieces
- Thin Coconut milk -2 cups
- Thick Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves,ginger and garlic ,saute well.
- Add sliced shallots and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low ,add turmeric powder,coriander powder ,chili powder and fenugreek powder.Saute for 3 to 4 minutes ,stirring continuously.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till it is completely cooked.
- Now slowly add thin coconut milk .Stir well.(add more water if you require more gravy)
- Add kudampuli and salt to taste.Cover and let it boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the fish pieces and swirl the pan lightly.Cover and cook till done.
- When the fish is cooked and gravy is thick, add thick coconut milk and swirl the pan lightly.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.(Do not allow it to boil.)
Serve with rice.