Recipe source :Suriani pachakam (Bava R Luckos)
- Beef(cut into bite sized pieces)- 1 kg
- Thinly sliced coconut pieces-3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Shallots/chumanulli (sliced)-3/4 cup
- Ginger (chopped)- 2tbsp
- Garlic(chopped)-1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 3 to 4 sprigs
- Vinegar- 2 tsp
- Onion sliced-1 big
- Salt to taste
- Hot water
- Coconut oil
- Coriander powder- 2 tbsp
- Chili powder-1 tbsp( or Kashmiri chili powder-2 to 3 tbsp,according to taste)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon-2″ piece
- Cloves- 5 nos
- Cardamom-3 nos
- Mix together thinly sliced coconut,turmeric powder and salt.Heat oil in a pan and saute this until it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- In a blender,combine all the ingredients to grind and blend to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Place beef pieces in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed pan.Add the masala paste,fried coconut pieces,shallots,ginger,garlic,curry leaves , vinegar,hot water and salt to taste.Cook until the beef pieces are tender.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan ,add sliced onion and saute till it turns golden brown.Now add the cooked beef and saute on a medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it is almost dry.(if you prefer dry fry ,cook for another 5 to minutes until it is completely dry.)
Serve with rice,appam,dosa or puttu.ENJOY!!!