For Mushroom Masala
- Mushroom -sliced-250 gms
- Cloves-3 nos
- Cardamom- 2 nos
- Cinnamon-1″ piece
- Star anise- 1 no
- Bay leaf- 1 no
- Onion -sliced- 2 medium sized
- Green chilies-chopped- 1 or 2 nos( or to taste)
- Ginger and garlic -crushed-1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-2 tsp ( see notes)
- Coriander powder-1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Water-1/8 cup
- Tomato chopped- 1 medium
- Coconut milk-1/2 cup
- Mint leaves- chopped- 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves-chopped- 1 tbsp
- Oil/Ghee- as required
- Salt to taste
- Basmati rice-1 and 1/4 to 1.5 cups( See notes)
- Water- as required
- Cloves-2 nos
- Cinnamon- 1 small piece
- Cardamom- 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Ghee-as required
- Cashew nuts- 10 to 12 nos
- Raisins- 1 tbsp
- Onion-finely sliced- 1 small
- Coriander and mint leaves-chopped-1 tbsp
- Garam masala-as required ( optional)
For preparing rice
- Wash rice until water runs clear.Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add the drained rice.Fry rice for 3 to 4 minutes,stirring continuously.
- Add salt , water,cloves,cinnamon and cardamom.Cover and cook until it is 3/4 th done, drain the excess water.(Remove the whole spices from the cooked rice and discard)Transfer cooked rice to a large tray and allow it to cool slightly.
For preparing Mushroom masala
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and add cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,star anise and bay leaf.Saute for few seconds.Now add onion ,green chilies and salt.Cook until onion turns translucent.Now add ginger and garlic,saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Next add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and 1/8 cup water.Cook for few minutes or until masala leaves the sides of the pan.Next add tomato and cook until oil starts to separate ,or until masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add sliced mushroom ,salt to taste and cook for for about 5 to 8 minutes.Next add coconut milk.Cook until the gravy is thick.
- Add mint and coriander leaves and mix until combined.
- Cook for few more minutes.Keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan ,fry onion,cashew nuts and raisins separately until it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.
- Lightly grease a baking pan with ghee.Arrange prepared rice and mushroom masala in layers.Sprinkle 1/8 tsp ghee,and few tsp of chopped coriander and mint leaves and a small pinch of garam masala on each layer of rice.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts,raisins and onion.
- Cover it with an aluminium foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
( for stove top method,layer rice and mushroom masala in a greased heavy bottomed pan and cover it tightly.Heat a tava /dosa pan and place the biriyani vessel on top of the tava.Reduce the flame to low a cook for about 20 minutes.)
- If you are using red chili powder ,adjust the quantity according to your taste.I used 3 tsp kashmiri chili powder as I like it a bit spicy.
- Coconut milk should not be too thick or too thin.
- If you like more masala for the biriyani ,use 1 and 1/4 cup rice ( like in the pic) or use 1.5 cups rice for a milder version.
SravsJune 10, 2013 at 8:56 pm
So tempting and very inviting biryani !!
PreetyJune 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm
om my your tempting clicks is making me hungry..:)
UnknownJune 11, 2013 at 1:49 am
looks so delicious..lovely clicks
UnknownJune 11, 2013 at 2:51 am
wow……….. so tempting ………. great clicks ……….
SonaJune 11, 2013 at 3:41 am
Looks very delicious and inviting.
UnknownJune 11, 2013 at 4:17 am
i m drooling just looking at those cashews peeking out.
saraniskitchenJune 11, 2013 at 10:34 am
lovely platter…such a inviting dish…
KalyaniJune 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm
wow very tempting biryani !!!!
foodieportalJune 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm
I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. Over at foodieportal.com we are not photography expert snobs, we are just foodies, so pretty much all your pictures will get accepted.