Kerala style Prawn curry using coconut milk.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Prawn,cleaned- 250 to 300 gms
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion,sliced – 1 large( about 1 cup)
- Green chilies,cut into two – 1 ( or according to taste)
- Ginger and garlic ,crushed – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1.5 to 2 tsp (or according to taste,See notes)
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp + 1 pinch
- Tomato,chopped- 1 large (about 3/4 cup)
- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup( or as required)
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- as required
- Heat oil in a manchatti /pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Now add onion,green chilies,ginger garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute until onion turns golden brown.Reduce the flame to low,add turmeric powder,kashmiri chili powder , coriander powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
- Fry for about 30 seconds ,stirring continuously.Next add tomato and mix well.
- Cook until tomato turns mushy and the masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.Next add cleaned prawns and salt to taste.Mix well.
- Next add thin coconut milk and stir well.Cover and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until done and gravy turns thick.
- Now add thick coconut milk and stir well.Cook for few minutes and bring it to just under a boil.Switch off the stove and add a pinch of garam masala and stir gently.
- Adjust the quantity of Kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.I used about 2.5 tsp of Kashmiri chili powder as we wanted it a bit spicy.
- Adjust the quantity of thin coconut milk according to the amount of gravy required.