Learn how to make light ,fluffy and delicious glazed doughnuts.
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 3 Hours 30 minutes
Makes: 10 to 15 Doughnuts
Recipe source: Leitesculinaria, You can find the original recipe here.
For the dougnuts:
- Active dry yeast – 3 tbsp
- Luke warm milk – 1 cup
- Bread flour- 2 to 2.5 cups( i used approx 3 cups all purpose flour,see notes)
- Sugar – 2 tbsp,heaped
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Egg yolks- 3 large
- Butter,at room temperature – 4 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – for deep frying
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- Confectioners Sugar – 1.5 cups
- Cocoa powder- 4 tbsp
- Milk or water – 2 tbsp ( or as required)
- Vanilla extract – 1.5 to 2 tsp
In a mixing bowl combine together 2 tbsp yeast and 3/4 cup milk.Mix well until dissolved.Next add 3/4 cup flour.
Mix well to form a smooth paste.Cover and keep this in a warm spot to rise,for about 30 minutes.
In a large bowl ( or bowl of a stand mixer) combine together the remaining lukewarm milk and yeast.Add sugar,salt,vanilla extract , egg yolks and the prepared yeast-milk-flour mixture.
Mix well until smooth.Now add 1/2 cup flour and mix well.
Now add butter and mix until it becomes incorporated .
Add the remaining flour in batches ,1/4 cup at a time.Knead well for about 5 to 10 minutes ,to form a smooth and soft dough.(If it is too sticky ,add few tbsp of flour and knead again until it turns smooth .)
Transfer the dough to a large bowl ,cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until it is double in volume .( I left it at room temperature for about 40 minutes).
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 ” thickness.With a douhgnut /cookie cutter cut out 3″ diameter rounds with 1″ diameter holes.
Place the doughnuts at least 1″ apart to a lightly floured tray.Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and leave to rise for about 15 to 20 minutes or until doubled in size.To check if the dough is ready,touch it lightly with your fingertip.If the dough quickly bounces back,it isn’t ready,if it comes back slowly then the dough is ready.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.Carefully place a couple of doughnuts in the oil.The doughnuts should immediately float to the top and puff up.Carefully flip them over to the other side.Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.Transfer onto a clean kitchen towel.Allow it to cool slightly before glazing.Repeat with the remaining doughnuts.
To prepare the chocolate glaze,combine together sugar and cocoa powder in a shallow bowl.Slowly add milk and vanilla .Mix well to form a smooth pourable glaze.
Dip one side of each doughnut into the chocolate glaze.
Let any excess glaze drip off.Transfer them onto a baking sheet /parchment paper /foil.(Sprinkle finely chopped caramelized nuts /sprinkles if desired.) Allow the glaze to set before serving.
- For sugar glaze mix 1.5 cups confectioners sugar with 3 to 4 tbsp of milk /water and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- I did not have bread flour,so used appr 3 cups all purpose flour.
- Bread flour gives much lighter doughnuts compared to all purpose flour due to its high protein content ,which forms gluten when moistened.This gluten gives elasticity to the dough, so it can trap more air pockets.