Kerala Fish Masala
Quick and easy Kerala style Fish Masala.
Prep Time: 15 minutes .
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Serves:2 to 3
- Fish,sliced- 350 to 400 gms(5 to 6 medium pieces see notes)
- Onion,sliced – 1.5 cups( 2 large)
- Green Chilies,cut vertically- 2(or to taste)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
- Tomato,chopped – 3/4 cup(2 small or 1 large)
- Hot Water -1/2 cup (or as required)
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Kasuri Methi – 1 generous pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice- 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste- 3/4 tsp
- Water- as required
- Salt – to taste
In a bowl combine together all the ingredients listed under ‘for marination’ to form a thick paste.Rub this onto the fish and set aside for about 15 minutes.Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish,turning sides once in between until 3/4th done.
Drain and set aside.Transfer 2 to 3 tsp of the remaining oil into another pan.
Add onion , green chilies , curry leaves and ginger garlic paste and saute until golden brown over medium flame.
Reduce the flame to low ,add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and black pepper powder along with 1 or 2 tbsp water.Stir continuously to avoid burning.Saute until oil starts to separate or until masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
Now add tomato and mix well.Cover and cook until tomato turns mushy over medium flame.(Stir in between to avoid burning)
Once the masala is cooked well and starts to leave the sides of the pan,add 1/2 cup hot water and salt to taste ,mix well and bring it to a boil.
Add the coconut milk and kasuri methi ,stir well until combined.
Add the fried fish and gently swirl the pan to evenly coat the fish with the masala.Bring this to just under a boil ,over medium low flame.Add more curry leaves ,if desired and switch off the flame.Serve with rice or chapathi.
- Use king fish,pomfret,pearl spot or any firm fish.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml