- Fish-1 kg
- Kashmiri Chili powder-2 1/2 tbspn
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1tbsp
- cumin/jeerakam powder-1 pinch
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/uluva- 1/2 tsp
- Shallots/chumannulli chopped-10 nos
- Ginger and garlic-crushed- 1 tbsp
- kokum/kudampuli(soaked in 1 cup water)-4 nos
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Mix together chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder cumin powder and water , grind to form a smooth paste.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/manchatti and add mustard seeds and let it splutter,add fenugreek seeds,1 sprig curry leaves ,chopped shallots and ginger garlic.
- cook till the shallots turn golden brown in colour.
- Reduce the flame to low.Now add the paste and saute till the oil separates.
- Add 2 cup water(more if required),Kokum/kudampuli pieces ,one sprig of curryleaves and salt to taste.
- Mix well,cover the pan and let it boil.
- Add the fish pieces and cook on a medium heat till the fish is cooked.
- Uncover and simmer till the gravy is thick.
Sending this recipe to kerala kitchen event june 2011 hosted by Rose of magpies recipes.
Rose from Magpies RecipesJune 16, 2011 at 7:17 am
Thanks so much for joining us over at The Kerala Kitchen 🙂 Please do include a link to the event in your post