For caramelized mango
- Mango(peeled,pitted and cut into 1″ cubes)- 1to 11/2 cups
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
For mango icecream
- Mango (peeled and pitted) – 1 medium no
- Milk- 1 1/2 cups
- Thick cream-2 cups
- Sugar-8 tbsp(you can increase or decrease the amount of sugar depending upon the sweetness of the mango that you are using)
- Egg yolks- 4 nos
For the caramelized mango
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan,add sugar and cook over low heat.
- Lightly swirl the pan in between and cook until it reaches golden brown.
- Add the cubed mangoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
To make ice cream
- Process the mango in a blender until smooth .Refrigerate the mango puree until required.
- Beat together the egg yolks ,4 tbsp sugar and 1 cup thick cream in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Heat the milk,remaining 4 tbsp sugar and 1 cup cream until it is almost boiling, over low heat.
- Gradually pour the hot milk and cream mixture on to the egg mixture,whisking as you do so.
- Return the mixture into a saucepan and cook,stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard mixture thickens sufficiently to thinly coat the back of the spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a wide container .Allow it to cool well .
- Cover and place the container in the refrigerator to chill for 30-40 minutes.
- Once it is cold add the mango puree and mix well and put it into the freezer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take the container out ,now it should have just started freezing from the outside edges.
- Using a wooden spatula or a sturdy whisk, beat the mixture well to make it smooth once again.Put it in the freezer.
- Continue to check every 30-40 minutes,stirring well as it freezing.(repeat this process for 3 times)
- After the third mixing cycle,once the mixture is soft add the caramelized mango pieces (and the sauce if present) and fold it in lightly for just two or three times.Put it back into the freezer and keep freezing until it is firm.
Serve with fresh diced mangoes.
Sending this to
Kerala kitchen July event at Magpies recipes
Tutorial Tuesday at Hope studios
Mango event at My culinary creations
D for Desserts event hosted by Suvidha of Suvidhas kitchen
NithyaJuly 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm
Delicious and mouth watering icecream 🙂 Love all your clicks too. They are making me simply drool 🙂
SarahJuly 18, 2011 at 9:27 am
this is awesome!
UnknownJuly 28, 2011 at 7:52 am
Luv ur pics and delicious icecream!
Suvidha A.August 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Lovely Recipe!! Thanks for participating in Desserts Event. Round Up Ready at http://suvidhaskitchen.blogspot.com/