- Kumbalanga /Ash gourd(cut into 1″cubes)-1to1 1/2 cups
- Green chilies(cut vertically)- 2 nos
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Yogurt- 2cups
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp(optional)
- Shallots(chumanulli) sliced- 2 nos
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Red chilies- 3 nos
- Grind together grated coconut,turmeric powder and cumin seeds with enough water to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Cook kumbalanga/ash gourd along with green chilies ,water and salt to taste.
- Once it is cooked add the coconut paste and simmer for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the stove and add yogurt stirring continuously.Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add fenugreek seeds,shallots,curry leaves and red chilies and saute till shallots turn golden brown.
- Pour it over the pulishery and serve .
Serve with rice.
Sending this to Kerala kitchen event at magpies recipes
NithyaJuly 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Delicious 🙂 I love the first pic. The platter makes me dream of sitting right in front of it to hog 🙂
PlatefulJuly 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm
You know I love your simple but very effective styling. As Nits said, loved your first pic the best. You know, you should start submitting your recipes to Kerala Kitchen, that way you can meet lots of fellow foodies and get more traffic too.. ! Cheers!
KurryleavesJuly 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm
Thank you nithya….
and nash thank you..and ill definitely join Kerala kitchen
ReshmiAugust 22, 2020 at 8:24 pm
simple but lip smacking