- Semolina/Rava- 1 cup
- Green chili chopped- 1 no
- Ginger chopped- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Cashew nuts- 5-6 nos
- Red chilies- 2 nos
- Asafoetida-1 pinch
- Onion chopped- 1/2 cup
- Carrot and green beans chopped – 3/4 cup
- Frozen green peas-1/4 cup
- Water-1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups
- Salt to taste
- mustard seeds
- Heat 1 tsp of oil/ghee in a pan and roast semolina till fragrant.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds.Let it splutter.
- Add green chili,ginger,curry leaves,cashew nuts ,red chilies and asafoetida.Saute for a minute on low flame.
- Now add onion,carrot and green beans.Saute till the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add frozen green peas and pour water. Add salt to taste.Cover and cook till it starts to boil.
- Now add slowly the roasted semolina ,stirring as you go.
- Reduce the flame to low ,cover and cook for few minutes.
- Open the lid and stir well.Now the upma should be soft and fluffy.(if it looks dry add a few tablespoons of water ,then cover and cook for a minute)