For the crust
- Whole wheat flour- 1 3/4 cups
- Milled flax seeds-2 tbsp (optional)
- Active dry yeast- 1/2 tbsp
- Sugar-3/4 tbsp
- Warm water-3/4 cup
- Olive oil-2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
For pizza sauce
- Tomato- 3 nos
- Garlic (crushed)- 2 cloves
- Mixed Italian spices- 1 tsp
- Vinegar- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Crushed pepper-1 tsp(or according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Tomato (sliced thinly)-1 small
- Bell pepper (sliced finely)-1 small
- Onion (diced)- 1 small
- Spinach-few leaves(optional)
- Cheese-1/4 to 1/2 cup(according to taste)
To prepare the crust
- Dissolve sugar in 3/4 cup warm water and add yeast to it.Keep aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Meanwhile combine whole wheat flour,milled flax seeds and salt .
- Pour the yeast mixture and olive oil into the dry ingredients.
- Knead the mixture well until it is no more sticky.(add a few tsps of whole wheat flour if required)
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and leave it aside for 45 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- Transfer this dough into a greased baking tray and evenly press this dough to form a thin crust.
To prepare the pizza sauce and topping
- Blanch the tomatoes and remove the skin.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the crushed garlic and saute till done.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add mixed spices,vinegar,sugar,crushed pepper and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes over low flame or until the tomato is completely cooked and mashed up.
- Allow this sauce to cool.
- Spread this pizza sauce over the prepared crust leaving 1/2 ” on all the sides.
- Arrange sliced vegetables ,olives and grated cheese over this.
- Bake the pizza for 15 to 20 minutes (220deg)or until crust turns golden brown in color.