Recipe source: Veginspirations.com
- Broken wheat/Samba wheat rava(coarsely powdered)- 3/4 cup
- Oats(coarsely powdered)-3/4 cup
- Ragi (Finger millet)powder- 1/2 cup
- Baking soda-1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Yogurt- 2 cups
- Grated coconut- 4 tbsp(optional)
- Grated carrot-3 to 4 tbsp(optional)
- Frozen green peas- 3 to 4 tbsp(optional)
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Urud dal/uzhunnu parippu-1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts(chopped)- 4 tsp
- Curry leaves chopped-1 sprig
- Green chilies (chopped)- 2 nos(or to taste)
- Combine broken wheat ,oats,ragi powder,baking powder and salt together.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add urud dal,channa dal, and cashewnuts ,saute till it turns golden brown.Now add curry leaves and green chilies.Saute for few seconds.
- Combine this with the wheat and oats mixture(as per the recipe you can store this mixture in an air tight container for about 1 week,just add yogurt , grated coconut and veggies just before making idlis)
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add grated coconut,carrot and green peas (if using) and mix well.
- Immediately pour the batter into greased idli molds and steam for about 20 minutes.Allow it to cool for a minute before removing the idlis from the molds.
- Serve with chutney and sambar.
LifewithspicesJanuary 1, 2012 at 6:26 am
Happy new year this is awesome dish..perfect clicks n very well presented!!
AarthiJanuary 1, 2012 at 10:33 am
very healthy one..bookmarked
InduJanuary 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm
You have made a healthy meal even healthier!
Indu @ indugetscooking.blogspot.com
Manju @ Manjus Eating DelightsJanuary 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm
Looks awesome….Happy New Year dear!
KalyaniJanuary 2, 2012 at 6:59 am
wow looks yummy & healthy idli's ….. Also A Very Happy new year …….
ZareenaJanuary 2, 2012 at 9:09 am
Wow!!! never tried making an idly with broken wheat. This looks super soft. loved the snaps a lot.
FaseelaJanuary 2, 2012 at 10:03 am
Healthy idly……..luks so soft n yummy….
Gayathri NGJanuary 2, 2012 at 11:09 am
Happy New Year dear…
Delicious n healthy idlis…
NishaJanuary 3, 2012 at 3:16 am
Beautiful presentation . Loved the traditional dishes and ladel
AnishaJanuary 4, 2012 at 7:51 am
Awesome idlis… your pictures are soo tempting!