CHENA MEZHUKKUPURATTI / ELEPHANT YAM STIR FRY-Learn how to prepare Kerala style spicy elephant yam stir fry.
- Chena/Elephant Yam (peeled and cubed)- 2 cups
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp+ 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Garlic crushed- 2-3 cloves
- Shallots (sliced)-1/2 cup
- Pepper powder-1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- Fennel Powder-1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly rinse the cubed chena/yam.Add turmeric powder,1/2 tsp chili powder,salt and water to it and cook until done.Do not over cook.Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add curry leaves,garlic and shallots and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now reduce the flame to low and add 1/2 tsp chili powder, pepper powder and fennel powder.Saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the cooked chena and saute for a few minutes or until it is browned.
- Serve with rice.