Makes: 6 to 7 nos
- Rice flour- 1 cup
- Boiling water- as required
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Banana leaves/Parchment paper- cut into rectangles
- Grated jaggery-1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Water-2 tbsp
- Grated coconut-3/4 cup
- Cumin powder-1 pinch (optional)
- Cardamom powder-1 pinch
- Melt jaggery with 2 tbsp water over medium low heat.Switch off the stove and add grated coconut,cumin powder and cardamom powder .Mix well and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl ,add rice flour and salt.Pour boiling water and mix well using a wooden spatula.Allow this to cool slightly and knead well to form a soft dough.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the prepared dough and place it onto a piece of banana leaf and flatten it using your finger tips to form a thin and even layer of dough on it.(If the dough is sticking to your fingers ,dip your finger tips in water once in between)
- Place a tablespoon of the prepared filling onto one half of the prepared layer and fold over the other half and press the sides gently to seal the edges.Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Place this in a steamer and steam for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Allow it to cool slightly before serving.