- Whole wheat flour- 1 and 1/2 cups
- Baking soda-3/4 tsp
- Baking powder-1 tsp
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Toasted coconut-1/2 cup( see notes)
- Grated or powdered jaggery / Brown sugar- 1 and 1/4 cup( loosely packed)
- Coconut milk-1 cup
- vegetable oil-1/3 cup
- Vanilla beans- scraped- 2 nos ( or use 1 tsp Vanilla essence)
- White Vinegar- 1tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.Lightly grease a 7″ cake tin with oil and line it with parchment paper.Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,combine together,whole wheat flour,baking soda,baking powder,salt,toasted coconut and grated jaggery. Mix until everything is combined.
- In a another bowl,mix together coconut milk,vegetable oil,scraped vanilla and vinegar.Pour this into the prepared dry ingredients.
- Mix gently with a wooden spatula,just until combined.( Do not over mix)
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- For preparing toasted coconut, spread 3/4 to 1 cup freshly grated coconut on a baking tray and bake at 170 deg C until golden for about 5 to 10 minutes,stirring once or twice in between.Allow it to cool completely before adding it to the dry ingredients.
- To toast coconut on the stove top,spread 3/4 to 1 cup grated coconut in a pan and cook over medium heat ,stirring frequently until it turns golden.
- If you are making muffins,adjust the baking time accordingly.(It may take about 15 to 18 minutes)
- Sprinkle more toasted coconut on the cake before serving,if desired.
- If you like your cake to be less sweet ,use only 1 cup jagerry .
- If jaggery is not available,you can use brown sugar instead.