- Ripe plantain-5 nos( see note)
- Oil- for deep frying
For coconut filling
- Cashew nut -chopped-1/8 cup
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Sugar-2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder-1/8 tsp
- Ghee-2 to 3 tsp
- To prepare the filling heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew nuts until it turns golden.Now add grated coconut and saute till it turns golden .Add sugar and cardamom powder ,mix well and keep aside.
- Steam plantain until soft.Allow this to cool slightly.Mash it well using a wooden spoon( like chapati dough)
- Grease your hands with ghee and take a lemon sized portion of the prepared plantain and lightly flatten it using your finger tips.Place 2 tsp of the prepared coconut filling in the center and press the edges together and roll it to form a cylindrical shape with pointed edges.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the stuffed plantain until golden brown on all the sides,turning once in between.
Note: If you are finding it difficult to shape cooked plantain,add few tsp of rice flour to it and knead well until firm.
Do not use over ripe plantains.
UnknownApril 3, 2013 at 8:40 pm
divyaApril 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Awesome.. super delish
TinaApril 4, 2013 at 3:06 am
Beautiful clicks..unnakkaya looks perfect and yummy.
Priya SureshApril 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Fantastic unnakaya, love to have some.
great-secret-of-lifeApril 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm
looks great! new to me
UnknownJune 5, 2016 at 11:58 am