For potato masala
- Potato-(boiled and lightly mashed)-
- Mustard seeds–
- Cumin seeds–
- Curry leaves–
- Ginger-finely chopped-
- Green chilies-chopped-
2 nos( or to taste)
- Red chili powder–
- Turmeric powder–
1/4 cup( or as required)
- Lemon juice–
1 to 2 tsp( or to taste)
- Coriander leaves-chopped-
1 to 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida,curry leaves ,ginger and green chilies.Saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add red chili powder,turmeric powder and salt to taste.Saute for few seconds.
- Add water and mashed potato, mix well.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.Add more salt if required,mix well and cook for a minute or two.
To prepare masala dosa
- Heat a tawa/dosa pan.Lightly brush it with oil.(If you are using a non stick pan,do not apply oil on the tawa,if you do so you will not be able to spread the batter)
- Spread a ladle full of batter to form thin and large circle.Drizzle oil or ghee over the dosa ( use ghee for best results)
- When it is cooked and the edges starts to brown .Place 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato masala over the dosa,
For dosa batter
- Dosa rice/idli rice–
- Urad dal–
- Fenugreek seeds–
- Cooked rice–
about 2 cup( or as required)
- Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for about 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 2 to 3 hours along with fenugreek seeds.
- Drain urad dal and reserve the water to use it for grinding.In a griner/blender grind urad dal and fenugreek seeds to form a smooth and fluffy batter.(During grinding ,add 1/4 cup water at a time as required.I used about 3/4 cup water.)Transfer this urad batter to a large bowl.
- In the grinder ,grind together drained rice , cooked rice and just enough water to form a smooth batter.(Add 1/4 cup water at a time,as required.I used about 3/4 to 1 cup water.)Mix the rice batter along with the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Keep the batter aside to ferment in a warm place for about 10 to 12 hours.The bowl should be large enough to accommodate twice the volume of the batter.After fermentation the batter will be light and fluffy.
This is the basic recipe for dosa batter.Use sufficient quantity of this batter to prepare masala dosa.You can refrigerate the remaining batter for later use.