For potato masala
- Potato-(boiled and lightly mashed)-
- Mustard seeds–
- Cumin seeds–
- Curry leaves–
- Ginger-finely chopped-
- Green chilies-chopped-
2 nos( or to taste)
- Red chili powder–
- Turmeric powder–
1/4 cup( or as required)
- Lemon juice–
1 to 2 tsp( or to taste)
- Coriander leaves-chopped-
1 to 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida,curry leaves ,ginger and green chilies.Saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add red chili powder,turmeric powder and salt to taste.Saute for few seconds.
- Add water and mashed potato, mix well.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.Add more salt if required,mix well and cook for a minute or two.
To prepare masala dosa
- Heat a tawa/dosa pan.Lightly brush it with oil.(If you are using a non stick pan,do not apply oil on the tawa,if you do so you will not be able to spread the batter)
- Spread a ladle full of batter to form thin and large circle.Drizzle oil or ghee over the dosa ( use ghee for best results)
- When it is cooked and the edges starts to brown .Place 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato masala over the dosa,
- Fold the dosa and serve with sambar and coconut chutney.
For dosa batter
- Dosa rice/idli rice–
- Urad dal–
- Fenugreek seeds–
- Cooked rice–
about 2 cup( or as required)
- Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for about 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 2 to 3 hours along with fenugreek seeds.
- Drain urad dal and reserve the water to use it for grinding.In a griner/blender grind urad dal and fenugreek seeds to form a smooth and fluffy batter.(During grinding ,add 1/4 cup water at a time as required.I used about 3/4 cup water.)Transfer this urad batter to a large bowl.
- In the grinder ,grind together drained rice , cooked rice and just enough water to form a smooth batter.(Add 1/4 cup water at a time,as required.I used about 3/4 to 1 cup water.)Mix the rice batter along with the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Keep the batter aside to ferment in a warm place for about 10 to 12 hours.The bowl should be large enough to accommodate twice the volume of the batter.After fermentation the batter will be light and fluffy.
This is the basic recipe for dosa batter.Use sufficient quantity of this batter to prepare masala dosa.You can refrigerate the remaining batter for later use.
ManjushaAugust 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm
Yummmm !! those dosas look so yummy like restaurant made:) …not fair ..in the sense that I just had Oats for breakfast :(…Your picture is tempting me badly..pinnem veshakkannu :(…can you parcel me pls?
By the way,first time here,I am a new blogger from mywonderkitchen.blogspot.com and your follower too.Whenever you are free,hope to see you in my blog and also in my Google blog circle :).
UnknownAugust 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm
What fantastic looking photos here!! I m not a masala dosa fan but your pics are tempting me away.
Vimitha DuraiAugust 31, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Awesome photos and i love this totally
Happy’s CookAugust 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm
Wow crispy restaurant style dosa…, yummy
great-secret-of-lifeSeptember 1, 2013 at 5:50 am
yumm! nice shots..
SonaSeptember 1, 2013 at 8:38 am
Beautiful clicks, masala dosa looks inviting and delicious.
Sayantani Mahapatra MudiSeptember 1, 2013 at 10:53 am
wow such perfect dosa…love the potato stuffing recipe.
UnknownSeptember 1, 2013 at 11:41 am
looks yummy! ^_^
nice recipe 🙂
UnknownSeptember 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Looks very beautiful…
RosesandIvySeptember 1, 2013 at 8:52 pm
I'm going to give this a try. Very beautiful pictures.
My blog… ruchingandroses.blogspot.com
HungryCookSeptember 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm
Awesome recipe. Will surely try it.
Do visit my blog: daHungryCook.blogspot.com
UnknownApril 6, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Hi… Tried ur recipe n it turned out really good. Simple & Tasty !!!
KurryleavesApril 8, 2018 at 8:13 pm
HI Liji.Thank you for the feedback.
HarshaApril 19, 2018 at 7:39 am
Hi, Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe…
Came out really well…
Can you please post the recipe for soft and fluffy idlis….
KurryleavesMay 12, 2018 at 9:01 pm
Hi Harsha.Thank you for the feedback..
will definitely post the recipe for soft idlis..