Kerala Style Vegetable Stew
Mild an flavorful vegetable stew ,usually served with palappam.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Cardamom-3 nos
- Cloves-3 nos
- Cinnamon stick-1 ” piece
- Whole black pepper-8 to 10 nos
- Ginger,finely chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Garlic,finely chopped-1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically-2 to 3 nos( or according to taste)
- Onion ,sliced-1 large
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Carrot,cubed- 1 medium
- French beans,cut into 1″ pieces-5 to 6 nos
- Green peas,frozen or fresh-1/2 cup( see notes)
- Potato,cubed- 1 medium
- Thin coconut milk-1.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk-1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Oil / Ghee-as required
- Salt-to taste
- If you want a thicker gravy,add 1 or 2 tbsp of cashew nut paste along with thick coconut milk.To prepare cashew nut paste soak 6 to 8 cashew nuts in warm water for about 10 minutes and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies according to your taste.
- If you are using dried green peas,soak it in water for about 8 hours.Drain and cook using a pressure cooker until 3/4 th done and then add it to the sauteed onions,along with the rest of the vegetables.
nandoos kitchenFebruary 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm
vegetable stew looks yumm with those appams on side. Lovely
SonaFebruary 13, 2014 at 5:28 am
Beautiful clicks!! Stew looks delicious, yummy with aappams..
LifewithspicesFebruary 13, 2014 at 8:22 am
super tempting clicks..
UnknownFebruary 14, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Lovely presentation…….. Yummy !
TehmeenaFebruary 18, 2014 at 1:55 pm
yummy lovely looks great veg stew 🙂
SwatiMay 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm
I want to eat this right now!
John ZachJuly 7, 2014 at 5:23 pm
These photos and recipe notes are very nice, and you know i like veg stew ..
srpprcrftrNovember 7, 2014 at 6:05 am
Had to print this out for our grand daughter whom is a vegetarian. She's just in last few months decided she will be a vegetarian at 17. So far its' gone quite well cooking for her and the family. Daughter is good cook and helps her daughter eat the way she chooses. Many times I'm quite satisfied eating veggies for a meal, don't need meat but have meat eating hubs.
UnknownNovember 22, 2015 at 8:11 am
Looks amazing, and the instructions with pictures are very helpful. Can't wait to try this recipe out!
ChetanAugust 7, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Absolutely brilliant. My first trial with Appams with veg stew was a super hit. My family just loved it. Thanks for posting the recipe in detail and with sufficient pictures.
KurryleavesNovember 18, 2016 at 9:50 am
Thank You chetan!Happy to know your family enjoyed appam n stew.
AshApril 21, 2019 at 11:40 am
I tried this.. And it turned out just like how it was in kerala!!! ..but i added jeera powder and hing …thank u soo much for this recipe!! Your website is always my go to