Semiya Payasam /Vermicelli Kheer
Quick and easy vermicelli payasam / kheer using condensed milk.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
- Cashew nuts/almonds and raisins- 2 tbsp each ( or as required)
- Vermicelli/semiya – 1 cup ,heaped
- Milk-8 to 9 cups( about 2 ltr)
- Sweetened condensed milk- 1 Tin( 400 gm)
- Sugar- 3 to 4 tbsp( or according to taste)
- Cardamom powder,freshly ground- 1/2 tsp
- Ghee- 1 to 2 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan,add cashew nuts/almonds and when it turns golden ,add raisins and fry till it turns plump.Drain on to a kitchen towel.Keep aside.
- Add vermicelli to the same pan and fry,stirring continuously until it turns golden brown over medium flame .Keep aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium flame.Bring it a boil , add the fried vermicelli and mix well.Cook over low heat ,stirring well in between until vermicelli turns soft and is done.
- Now add condensed milk and sugar to taste.Mix well and cook until it turns slightly thick.
- Switch off the stove,add cardamom powder and mix well.Garnish with fried cashew nuts and raisins.If it turns really thick add more milk to adjust the consistency.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
- Semiya payasam tends to get thick when it cools down,to adjust the consistency add more milk and heat for few minutes.