Chicken Tikka Recipe -Learn how to prepare tender and juicy chicken tikka, one of the most popular chicken appetiser from Indian cuisine.
Easy chicken tikka recipe
Prep Time: 2 to 3 hours
Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Chicken,cut into small pieces- 400 gms
- Oil / melted butter- as required
- Yogurt- 1.5 tbsp
- Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/2 to 3/4 tbsp (according to taste)
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Tandoori masala-3/4 tsp( or use homemade Tandoori masala)
- Lime juice- 2 tsp
- Mustard oil/vegetable oil- 2 tbsp( see notes)
- Butter- 2 to 3 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- In a bowl,combine together all the ingredients listed under ‘For marination’.
- Rub this onto the chicken pieces,until it is coated well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 to 3 hours.Thread the chicken pieces on bamboo skewers.
- Preheat oven to 250 deg C.Place the skewers on a greased tray and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes.Baste them with the pan juices and turn the pieces over.Drizzle melted butter,if desired.Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes,turning once or twice between.Broil for 3 to 4 minutes for charred look. ( Make sure you do not over cook the chicken,it should be soft , tender and juicy from inside.)
- Serve with pudhina/mint chutney, rice / roti.
- STOVE TOP Method:Drizzle oil on a skillet /grill pan.Place the skewered chicken on the pan and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, over medium heat.Drizzle more oil/butter and turn them over a couple of times,until cooked through ( about 5 to 10 minutes)and slightly charred on the sides.
- Mustard oil has a distinctive pungent taste and a strong flavor.If you do not want to use mustard oil,just use any neutral cooking oil.
- For best results use homemade tandoori masala powder.
nandoos kitchenMay 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm
nice lovely spread and chicken tikka looks very inviting.
UnknownMay 4, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Mouth watering 🙂
Sarah/Homestyle Cooking Around The WorldMay 5, 2014 at 7:18 am
so pretty and delicious looking. I will have to try this marinade and method soon!
SwatiMay 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Love this recipe! And that I can even do it on a stove top!