Spicy Fish Balls
Spicy Indian style fish and potato balls.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 14 to 16 fish balls
- Fish,cooked and shredded – 3/4 cup( see notes)
- Ginger and garlic ,crushed- 1.5 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped- 3 to 4 tbsp ( one small)
- Green chilies,finely chopped-1
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/2 to 1 tsp( according to taste)
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Potato,boiled and mashed- 3/4 cup( one medium)
- Lemon juice- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- All purpose flour- 3 to 4 tsp
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Breadcrumbs-as required( about 1/2 cup)
- Oil- as required /for deep frying
- Heat oil in a pan add ginger,garlic,onion and green chilies.Saute until it turns soft.
- Reduce heat to low,add turmeric powder,kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder.Cook for about a minute stirring continuously.
- Add shredded fish and mix well.Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes or until it is almost dry.
- Next add mashed potato and salt to taste.Add lemon juice and switch off the stove.Mix well until combined.
- Let it cool a bit before shaping it into 1 to 1.5″ balls.
- In a bowl combine together all purpose flour and water to form a batter.(The batter should not be too thick or too thin.)Dip the fish balls in the batter.
- Next roll each ball in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan.When the oil is hot ,fry the fish balls until golden brown,turning once or twice in between.Drain onto a clean kitchen towel.Serve with tomato ketchup.
- To prepare fish,add required amount of water ,salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender.Drain and allow to cool completely.Remove the bones and shred the fish using your hands.
- You can use any firm fish to prepare this.
- I used 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder.
foodydelightJuly 8, 2014 at 5:14 am
Fishy balls looks so mouthwatering.. beautifully presentated…
Today recipe Rajasthan Thali
Magees kitchenworldJuly 8, 2014 at 6:06 am
Droolworthy recipe…Looks so tempting dear
PreethaJuly 8, 2014 at 9:24 am
I just love all your recipes… and still drooling here……loved it
nandoos kitchenJuly 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm
nice spicy fish balls. love it.. nice clicks..
ManjuJuly 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm
This is nice….. I can imagine how tasty it is… 😛
ShaliniMay 12, 2015 at 12:43 pm
What kind of fish besides kingfish will be good for this recipe ?
KurryleavesMay 14, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Hi Shalini,..you can use any firm fish ..like tuna,Bluefin trevally(vatta),hamour…etc
SamBoAugust 27, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Just stumbled on to your wonderful blog today and promptly saved it in my favorites! Though not a 'Mallu,' I love your cuisine and enjoy making it from time to time.
I already picked a few of your mouthwatering recipes for the right time.
Anyway, my question is – can I use canned tuna for this recipe or would you suggest that I rather cook and prepare the fish myself?
Thanks for the good work. Keep it up!
KurryleavesAugust 30, 2015 at 7:11 pm
@Sambo…Thank You for the feedback…so happy that you enjoy the recipes here…
canned tuna should work well too…..do let me know once you try it out.Thank You once again..