Kerala Style fish Cutlets
How to make kerala style fish cutlets
Prep Time: 10 minutes .
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 14 to 16 cutlets
- Onion,finely chopped- 1 cup( 1 large)
- Ginger garlic,crushed – 1 tbsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped -2
- Potato-boiled ,peeled and mashed – 1 large
- Black pepper powder- 3/4 to 1 tsp(or to taste)
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – as required
- Salt – to taste
To prepare the fish:
- King fish (or any other firm fish)- 500 gms
- Ginger and garlic,crushed- 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Green chilies,finely chopped- 1 or 2 ( or according to taste)
- Water- as required
- Salt – to taste
In a pan combine together all the ingredients listed under ‘To prepare the fish’.Cook until fish turns tender and water has evaporated.Allow to cool completely
Remove the bones and shred the fish using a fork .Set aside.Heat oil in a pan,add onion,ginger,garlic and green chilies.
Saute until onion turns soft.Add the shredded fish and mix well.
Now add the mashed potato and stir well until combined.Add black pepper powder,garam masala and salt to taste.Cook for 1 or 2 minutes stirring continuously and switch off the flame.
Allow this mixture to cool slightly.Divide this into small balls and flatten them lightly with your finger tips.Keep aside.
Lightly beat the egg in a bowl.Dip the cutlets in the beaten egg.
Then roll each cutlet in the breadcrumbs to form an even coating.( you can freeze the cutlets at this point ,if desired.).Heat oil in a pan and deep fry or shallow fry the cutlets ,turning once in between. till it turns golden brown on both the sides.
Drain onto a kitchen towel and serve with tomato ketchup.
- 1 cup = 250 ml
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper powder and green chilies according to your taste.
- You may use mackerel,tuna,salmon or any other firm fish ,if desired.