Kerala Style fish Cutlets
How to make kerala style fish cutlets
Prep Time: 10 minutes .
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 14 to 16 cutlets
- Onion,finely chopped- 1 cup( 1 large)
- Ginger garlic,crushed – 1 tbsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped -2
- Potato-boiled ,peeled and mashed – 1 large
- Black pepper powder- 3/4 to 1 tsp(or to taste)
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – as required
- Salt – to taste
To prepare the fish:
- King fish (or any other firm fish)- 500 gms
- Ginger and garlic,crushed- 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Green chilies,finely chopped- 1 or 2 ( or according to taste)
- Water- as required
- Salt – to taste
- In a pan combine together all the ingredients listed under ‘To prepare the fish’.Cook until fish turns tender and water has evaporated.Allow to cool completely
- Remove the bones and shred the fish using a fork .Set aside.Heat oil in a pan,add onion,ginger,garlic and green chilies.
- Saute until onion turns soft.Add the shredded fish and mix well.
- Now add the mashed potato and stir well until combined.Add black pepper powder,garam masala and salt to taste.Cook for 1 or 2 minutes stirring continuously and switch off the flame.
- Allow this mixture to cool slightly.Divide this into small balls and flatten them lightly with your finger tips.Keep aside.
- Lightly beat the egg in a bowl.Dip the cutlets in the beaten egg.
- Then roll each cutlet in the breadcrumbs to form an even coating.( you can freeze the cutlets at this point ,if desired.).Heat oil in a pan and deep fry or shallow fry the cutlets ,turning once in between. till it turns golden brown on both the sides.
- Drain onto a kitchen towel and serve with tomato ketchup.
- 1 cup = 250 ml
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper powder and green chilies according to your taste.
- You may use mackerel,tuna,salmon or any other firm fish ,if desired.