Homemade Tomato Sauce
Easy ,healthy and delicious homemade tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
- Tomato- 500 gms
- Onion,finely chopped- 1/2 of a small
- Garlic ,chopped- 1 clove
- Ginger,chopped-1″ piece
- Celery,chopped- 1 tbsp
- Red bell pepper,chopped-1/4 cup
- Red chilies- 2 to 3 nos( deseeded)
- Black pepper powder- to taste
- Golden Raisins- 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Vinegar- 2 tsp
- Sugar-1.5 to 3 tbsp( see notes)
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and keep aside.Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan,add onion,garlic and ginger.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add celery,red bell pepper,red chilies,black pepper powder,raisins,bay leaf and salt to taste.Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium low.Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until it turns thick .Switch off the stove.
- Remove the bay leaf .Use an immersion blender to puree sauce until smooth.
- Pass it through a sieve to remove seeds and skin.
- Transfer the sauce to a heavy bottomed pan .Add vinegar and sugar,mix well and cook over low flame until it turns thick and slightly darker in color, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for upto 2 weeks.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
- I also added 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder along with sugar as we spicy tomato sauce.
Anudeepa KadiresanJuly 6, 2014 at 11:56 pm
How long may I store this at home
KurryleavesJuly 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm
You refrigerate this for upto 2 weeks.
TorviewtorontoJuly 7, 2014 at 1:58 am
looks wonderful lovely presentation
UnknownJuly 7, 2014 at 6:10 am
love the presenting way and love the tutorial
AnonymousJuly 7, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Amazing pics and detailed explanation