Healthy and delicious Indian cheese and spinach curry.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Spinach /Palak – 1 bunch
- Paneer – 200 to 250 gms
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1 medium( approx 3/4 cup)
- Ginger and garlic,crushed – 1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 to 3/4 tsp( according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato,finely chopped – 1 small( 1/4 cup)
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cream – 1 or 2 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Soak paneer in hot water until required.
- Boil water in a pan and add washed spinach,cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked spinach to a bowl containing ice cold water.(This is done to stop the cooking and also to preserve the green color.)Drain and puree the spinach in a blender,keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and let it splutter.Add onion,ginger,garlic and green chilies.
- Saute until it turns golden brown.Next add asafoetida,kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder and coriander powder.Saute for few seconds.
- Now add finely chopped tomato and mix well.Cook until tomato turns mushy and oil starts to separate .
- Next add the pureed spinach , crushed kasuri methi, required amount of water and salt to taste.Mix well and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now add drained paneer cubes, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.Add garam masala and fresh cream,mix well and switch off the stove.
- You can substitute fresh cream with yogurt,if desired.
- Adjust the quantity of water according the consistency required.
- You can also shallow fry the paneer cubes,if desired.