- Hard boiled eggs- 2 nos
- Onion(sliced finely)-2 large or 3 medium nos
- Ginger (chopped)-1 tsp
- Garlic (chopped)- 1tsp
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Coconut milk-1/2 cup
- Water-1/4 to 1/2 cup( as required)
- Vinegar- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Kashmiri chili powder- 3/4 to 1 1/2 tsp( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder-1 1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Combine the ingredients for masala with sufficient quantity of water to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.saute it till onion turns golden brown over a medium flame for about 15 to 20 minutes ,stirring in between.(make sure onion is caramelized, you can add salt while frying the onion to speed up the process.)
- Reduce the flame to low and add the masala paste,saute for a minute or two.( Update:if you want onion to be really soft in the curry (and just melt in your mouth!!) ,add 1/4 cup or a bit more of water after sauteing the masala and cook covered over medium low flame for about 12 to 15 minutes )
- Now add coconut milk , required amount of water and vinegar.Mix well and bring to just under a boil over medium flame.Adjust salt level at this point.
- Now add the sliced eggs,cover the eggs with the gravy,cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves ,if desired.
- Serve with appam.
NOTE: For best results use homemade garam masala
Few of the readers have said that the curry is a bit spicy,if you prefer less spicy egg curry ,then reduce the quantity of Kashmiri chili powder to 3/4 tsp.
Princy VinothApril 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Amazing combination!will try this soon 🙂 lovely pics.
Suja ManojApril 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm
Wonderful curry,my favorite combo..together a perfect breakfast..
SanApril 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm
Egg curry is so scrumptious, iam so hungry on seeing the appam with egg curry. The color is so pleasing.
FaseelaApril 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm
awesome egg curry…….
Nalini's KitchenApril 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm
Delicious egg curry,looks so tempting and perfect for appam….
Sobha ShyamApril 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm
awesome mutta curry, with appams it would taste great 🙂
SravsApril 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm
Wonderful curry and very inviting clicks !!!!
Priya SureshApril 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Appams with mutta curry,wish i live near u..drooling here..
HemaApril 21, 2012 at 12:39 am
The aapams and the curry look super inviting..
UnknownApril 21, 2012 at 4:06 am
Looks delicious! Want to have a bite
TinaApril 21, 2012 at 9:27 am
Iyo ithu kandittu vishakunnundu kettoooooo adipoli.
RamyaApril 21, 2012 at 9:54 am
curry has got perfect colour…would love to try this…
Please do join my Kerala Kitchen event this month
What's Baking??April 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm
glad to have found your blog..the name of your blog tempted me as I'm a no. 1 fan for curries. Delicious!
ShabbuApril 22, 2012 at 6:50 am
Delicious and tempting mutta curry…
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
ManjuApril 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm
so nice dear….my all time favorite….
InduApril 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Oooh! Appam and motta curry….! The motta curry looks so spicy, perfect for appams! Greats clicks!
PlatefulApril 23, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Mouthwatering! I had appam and mutta roast for breakfast just y'day 🙂
UnknownMay 1, 2012 at 12:37 am
I am eyeing the aapam on the side and drooling 🙂
spicenflavorsMay 4, 2012 at 5:42 am
Great presentation and recipes, will surely follow your blog:) Do visit my Blogspicenflavors.com thxs:)
RadhikaAugust 26, 2012 at 1:34 am
i tried this recipe tdy..came out well..thank uu.. 🙂
KurryleavesDecember 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Thank you Radhika for trying this one!!
Sudeep K PavithranDecember 4, 2012 at 9:52 am
Thanks for sharing..
Great Recipe n easy to make.. 🙂 Keep going..
pravasiJanuary 6, 2013 at 11:55 pm
thank u so much for the recipe!! i have tried it today and came out well ….And the best part is- its the first time i m cooking something my own, i felt it turned a little hot.Every thing else was good.
KurryleavesJanuary 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Happy to know that u liked the curry !!! Thank you for the feedback…
UnknownDecember 31, 2013 at 3:04 pm
oh my god u were right……eru kondu ente annakku pukanju…..but it came out super yummy….thanx !
KurryleavesJanuary 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Thanks a lot for trying it out..sorry to hear that it turned out really hot…did u use Kashmiri chili powder or the regular one???
DeepzzJanuary 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm
hi.. But when should the vinegar be added?
KurryleavesJanuary 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Hi …i ve updated the recipe…
UnknownJuly 3, 2014 at 10:24 am
Wow…. thats an awesome n delicious combination. My mouth is watering… 🙂 i will try this receipe today itself. Thank u for the receipe
SubinAugust 4, 2014 at 6:38 am
Can i substitute normal milk for coconut milk in this recipe?
UnknownAugust 26, 2015 at 10:25 am
i tried this.. first time making an egg curry and the result was superb.. thanks for the recipe..
KurryleavesAugust 30, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Thank you Abee!Thanks a lot for trying out this recipe..happy that you like it.
HarshaMarch 5, 2016 at 5:39 am
I tried appam and mutta curry combination…came out really well…..
KurryleavesMarch 8, 2016 at 7:47 am
Thank you Harsha.
UnknownSeptember 27, 2016 at 2:37 pm
I made this today… Its really delicious… Lips smacking one..Came out well.. Thank u for this recipe
KurryleavesNovember 18, 2016 at 9:41 am
Thanks a lot for trying out and letting me know.