Bitter Gourd Fry
Kerala style Bitter Gourd fry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Pavakka / Bitter Gourd ,sliced (1/4″ thick )- 2 Cups( 2 medium)
- Rice powder – 1/2 cup
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 to 1.5 tsp(or according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/8 to 1/4 tsp( or according to taste)
- Asafoetida /Kayam podi – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
- Oil – For deep frying
- Slice bitter gourd into 1/4″ thick pieces.In a mixing bowl combine together rice powder,kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,black pepper powder ,asafoetida and salt to taste.Mix well until combined.
- Add sufficient quantity of water and mix well to form a smooth,medium thick batter .( like dosa batter).
- Dip the bitter gourd slices in the prepared batter .(If the batter turns thick ,add few tsp of water and mix well.If it turns too thin to coat the slices,add few tsp of rice powder to adjust the consistency .)
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the bitter gourd slices in batches.After about 40 to 50 seconds gently stir so that the pieces don’t stick to each other.Fry until it turns brown and crispy.Transfer onto a clean kitchen towel.
- Adjust the quantity of Kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.