Tomato chutney -My Indian Kitchen ,Hari Nayak.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes: 1 Cup
Recipe Source : Plateful
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Dry red chilies,torn – 2
- Garlic ,finely chopped- 1 tbsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1 small( 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- Paprika or Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Tomato,chopped – 1.5 cups
- Tomato paste – 2 tbsp
- White vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
For masala powder:
- Coriander seeds-1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
- Grind coriander seeds,cumin seeds and black pepper to a fine powder.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Next add curry leaves ,dry red chilies and garlic ,saute for about 15 seconds.
- Add onion and saute for about 1 minute.Now add paprika /Kashmiri chili powder and the prepared masala powder.Cook for about 2 minutes,stirring continuously.
- Next add tomato,tomato paste vinegar and water.Mix well and bring to a boil over medium flame.Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until oil starts to separate .Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Add salt to taste and mix well and switch off the stove.Serve with dosa,idli or rice.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 6 weeks.