Irumban puli achar
- 3 cups Irumban puli/Bilimbi ,chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chilies,cut into two
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1/4 cup Garlic,sliced
- 2 tsp Ginger,finely chopped
- 2 to 3 Green chilies,chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder See notes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida powder/Kayam
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- Salt,to taste
- In a bowl add the chopped bilimbi and salt.Mix well and set aside until required.Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add the dry red chilies,curry leaves,garlic,ginger and green chilies.Saute until garlic turns soft over medium flame.Reduce the flame to low ,add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,fenugreek powder and asafoetida.
- Saute well until the raw smell leaves.( make sure you stir the masala continuously to avoid burning).Next add the chopped Bilimbi,stir well until combined.
- Now add the vinegar and more salt to taste.Stir well and cook for about 2 minutes.Add the boiling hot water and cook for about 5 minutes or until the Bilimbi/irumban puli turns tender.Allow to cool completely.Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for upto a month.