Mushroom masala stuffed Indian flat bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 parathas
- Whole wheat flour- 1 Cup(+ extra for dusting)
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil / Ghee – as required
For Mushroom stuffing:
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1/2 to 1 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Ginger – Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1/4 cup
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 tsp( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp( according to taste)
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
- Mushroom,finely chopped- 2 cups
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 2 tbsp( optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
In a bowl,combine together whole wheat flour,salt and sufficient quantity of water ,mix well.Knead to form a soft dough.Cover and keep aside for at least 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.Add green chilies , ginger -garlic paste and onion.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
Next add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,black pepper powder,cumin powder and garam masala powder.Saute for few seconds.
Add chopped mushrooms and mix well.Cook stirring well in between until the mixture turns almost dry. Add salt to taste and mix well.
Add coriander leaves ( if using) and switch off the stove.Allow this filling to cool completely.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll a portion of the dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface,keep aside.
Take another portion of the dough and roll it into a circle.Evenly spread 1 to 2 tbsp of the prepared filling over this( leaving 1/4″ space around the edges.).
Gently place the other paratha on top.Press the edges using your finger tips.
Roll paratha gently to seal completely.
Heat a nonstick /iron tawa ,place the paratha and let it cook until the color changes slightly for about
15 seconds over medium high heat.Flip the paratha and cook for few more seconds.Drizzle 1 tsp oil over the paratha.Flip the paratha again and gently press using a spatula.Cook until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.Serve hot with pickle and yogurt.
- For best results, drizzle ghee over the parathas.
- I halved the recipe( as you can see in the step by step pics)