Radish masala stuffed Indian flat bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 parathas
- Whole wheat flour- 1 Cup(+ extra for dusting)
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil / Ghee – as required
For Radish stuffing:
- Radish,grated- 1 cup,packed( 2 medium)
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1/8 cup
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1 ( or according to taste)
- Ginger and Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/4 tsp( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/8 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1 tbsp( optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Sprinkle salt over grated radish .Keep aside for 10 minutes and squeeze out as much as water as you can from the grated radish.Reserve this water to prepare the dough.
- In a bowl,combine together whole wheat flour,radish juice ,salt and sufficient quantity of water ,mix well.Knead to form a soft dough.Cover and keep aside for atleast 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.Add onion,green chilies and ginger -garlic paste.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add grated radish and salt to taste.Add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder ,cumin powder and garam masala powder.Saute for few seconds.
- Cook until all the moisture evaporates . Add coriander leaves ( if using) and switch off the stove.Allow this filling to cool completely.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll a portion of the dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface,keep aside.
- Take another portion of the dough and roll it into a circle.Evenly spread 1 to 2 tbsp of the prepared filling over this( leaving 1/4″ space around the edges.).
- Gently place the other paratha on top.Press the edges using your finger tips.
- Roll paratha gently to seal completely.
- Heat a nonstick /iron tawa ,place the paratha and let it cook until the color changes slightly for about 15 seconds over medium high heat.Flip the paratha and cook for few more seconds.Drizzle 1 tsp oil over the paratha.Flip the paratha again and gently press using a spatula.Cook until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.Serve hot with pickle and yogurt.
- For best results, drizzle ghee over the parathas.
- I halved the recipe( as you can see in the step by step pics)
Magees kitchenworldMay 13, 2015 at 5:20 am
UnknownMay 16, 2015 at 7:16 am
UnknownMay 22, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Do you think I make them with a different type of flour, i.e. corn? I know they'll not be the traditional flatbread then, but my gluten allergy is unmerciful 😉 Btw I really appreciate the photo tutorials, they're very helpful.
KurryleavesMay 30, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Thank you !!!
mm..not sure about corn flour …Sorghum flour works well !!!check out " Jowar/Sorghum -Radish Paratha" for step by step recipe..