Radish masala stuffed Indian flat bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 parathas
- Whole wheat flour- 1 Cup(+ extra for dusting)
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil / Ghee – as required
For Radish stuffing:
- Radish,grated- 1 cup,packed( 2 medium)
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1/8 cup
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1 ( or according to taste)
- Ginger and Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/4 tsp( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/8 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1 tbsp( optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
Sprinkle salt over grated radish .Keep aside for 10 minutes and squeeze out as much as water as you can from the grated radish.Reserve this water to prepare the dough.
In a bowl,combine together whole wheat flour,radish juice ,salt and sufficient quantity of water ,mix well.Knead to form a soft dough.Cover and keep aside for atleast 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.Add onion,green chilies and ginger -garlic paste.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
Now add grated radish and salt to taste.Add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder ,cumin powder and garam masala powder.Saute for few seconds.
Cook until all the moisture evaporates . Add coriander leaves ( if using) and switch off the stove.Allow this filling to cool completely.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll a portion of the dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface,keep aside.
Take another portion of the dough and roll it into a circle.Evenly spread 1 to 2 tbsp of the prepared filling over this( leaving 1/4″ space around the edges.).
Gently place the other paratha on top.Press the edges using your finger tips.
Roll paratha gently to seal completely.
Heat a nonstick /iron tawa ,place the paratha and let it cook until the color changes slightly for about 15 seconds over medium high heat.Flip the paratha and cook for few more seconds.Drizzle 1 tsp oil over the paratha.Flip the paratha again and gently press using a spatula.Cook until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.Serve hot with pickle and yogurt.
- For best results, drizzle ghee over the parathas.
- I halved the recipe( as you can see in the step by step pics)