Meen Manga Curry
Kerala style fish curry with raw mango.
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 3 to4
- Fish,medium size pieces- 400 gms
- Garlic,finely chopped – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger ,finely chopped – 1 tsp
- Shallots,sliced – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Raw Mango,sliced – 1 medium (depending on the sourness you many need more or less)
- Green chilies,cut vertically – 2 ( or according to taste)
- Water – or as required
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
For coconut paste:
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 to 1.5 tsp( according top taste)
- Water – as required
- Coconut oil- as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – Few
- Shallots,sliced – 2
- In a blender,combine together all the ingredients listed under ” For coocnut paste” and grind to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil a manchatti/clay pot.Add garlic,ginger,shallots,curry leaves,raw mango and green chilies.Saute for about 30 seconds.Next add the prepared coconut paste and required amount of water.Add salt to taste.
- Bring this to a boil.Add the fish and mix gently.Cover and cook over medium flame, until fish is done and the gravy turns thick.
- Once the gravy turns thick.Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.Let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and shallots and saute until it turns golden brown.Add this to the curry.Switch off the flame,cover and let stand for atleast 10 minutes before serving.
- As the curry cools,it will thicken further.Therefore adjust the amount of water according to the consistency required.
Ria SamuelOctober 27, 2016 at 10:33 am
Tried out this recipe today and it came off really well!!
KurryleavesNovember 18, 2016 at 6:35 am
Thank you ria,so happy that you liked it.
sugarfairyDecember 8, 2016 at 1:47 am
Really good recipe. Tried it several times. Never tires me!