Kerala Olan- Onam Sadhya Recipe-A traditional kerala sadhya recipe prepared using Ash gourd, red cow peas cooked and coconut milk.
Ash gourd and Red cowpeas in coconut milk
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Vanpayar / Red gram /cowpeas – 1/4 cup
- Ash gourd /Kumbalanga ,cubed- 1 cup
- Green chilies,sliced- 3 to 4( or according to taste)
- Water ( or thin coconut milk)- as required
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Curry leaves- few
- Coconut oil- as required
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the cowpeas /vanpayar in plenty of water for about 8 to 10 hours or overnight.Cook until tender,drain and keep aside.
- In a manchatti /clay pot cook the ash gourd ,green chilies ,salt and sufficient amount of water( or thin coconut milk).When it is done add the cooked cowpeas and mix gently.
- Now add the thick coconut milk and mix well.Do not boil.Switch off the stove, add 1 tsp coconut oil and curry leaves.Add more salt if required.Serve with rice.
- Click here for more Kerala sadhya recipes.
- Adjust the number of green chilies according to your taste.