Vendakka Kichadi | Okra in coconut yogurt sauce-A simple and delicious side dish for rice usually served during Kerala sadhya/feast.
Fried okra in coconut yogurt sauce ,usually served during onam /vishu sadhya.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Vendakka /okra,sliced – 1 cup
- Green chili,sliced – 1 or 2
- Yogurt- 3/4 to 1cup
- Salt- to taste
For coconut paste:
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 pinch
- Water- as required
- Coconut oil – as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies- 1 or 2
- Curry leaves- few
- Heat oil in a pan,add okra , green chilies and salt to taste , fry until it turns golden brown and slightly crisp.Set aside.
- In a blender,add all the ingredients listed under ‘for coconut paste’ with just enough water to form a smooth paste.Combine the coconut paste with the yogurt and gently heat this mixture for few minutes over medium low flame and turn off the stove.(Do not allow it to boil.)For tempering, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Add dry red chilies and curry leaves.Fry for few seconds and add this to the curry.
- Finally add the fried okra and salt to taste.Cover and keep aside for about 5 minutes before serving.Serve with rice.
- Adjust the amount of green chilies according to your taste.
- Click here for more Kerala sadhya recipes.