Nadan Konchu Theeyal-Kerala style Prawns / Shrimp cooked in spicy and flavourful roasted coconut gravy,usually served with boiled rice.
Nadan Konchu Theeyal
- 1 cup Prawns cleaned
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 small pieces Fish tamarind / Kudampuli
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coconut bits
- 1 cup shallots,sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger and garlic,crushed
- 1 or 2 Green chilies,sliced
- Coconut oil as required
To roast and grind
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- To roast and grindHeat 1 tsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan,add the grated coconut and fry stirring continuously over medium flame until it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the kashmiri chilli powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder.Fry for about 1 minute stirring continuously to avoid burning.Switch off the stove.Immediately transfer this into a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the coconut mix into a blender jar.Grind to form a smooth paste.(If you are not able to grind it, add 1 or 2 tbsp of water as required.)Set aside until required.
- Wash and soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup water for about 5 minutes.In a pan/manchatti add the prawns,turmeric powder,few curry leaves,salt and fish tamarind along with the soaked water.Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes over medium flame.
- Add the roasted coconut paste to the prawns.Add sufficient quantity of water and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan,add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add the curry leaves,coconut bits,shallots,ginger,garlic and green chilies.Add salt as required.Saute until the shallots turn golden brown over medium flame.
- Add this to the prawn curry and boil for another 5 minutes or until the gravy turns thick.Serve with rice.
- 1 cup=250 ml
- Click here for more prawn /shrimp recipes
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and Kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.