Pacha Kurumulaku aracha mathi varuthathu
Spicy and delicious sardine fry with green peppercorns
Prep Time: -30 minutes .
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Mathi/Sardine,cleaned – 10 to 12 medium
- Pacha Kurumulaku/green peppercorns – 1.5 to 2 tbsp (3 to 4 strings-see notes)
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
- Shallots – 3 to 4 (optional)
- Curry leaves – few (optional)
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
- In a blender add, pacha krumulaku,garlic,turmeric powder ,shallots,curry leaves and salt to taste.Add water as required and blend to form a slightly thick and smooth paste. Run this on to the fish ,marinate for about 1 hour or atleast 30 minutes.Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and swirl the pan to evenly coat the bottom of the pan with oil.Place the banana/plantain leaf and drizzle 1tsp oil on top.
- Gently place the marinated fish in a single layer and let it cook on medium heat.Once it turns golden brown on side ,gently flip over ,drizzle few drops of oil on top and cook until the other side is done .Transfer the fried fish onto a plate and serve immediately with sliced onion and lemon wedges.
- Using banana leaves to fry the fish helps in reducing the oil required in frying and it also imparts a nice flavor and aroma to the fried fish.
- If banana leaves are not available shallow fry the fish in a heavy bottomed pan.In that case add a handful of curry leaves into the hot oil before placing the fish.
- Adjust the quantity of pepper according to your taste.
- Click here for more Kerala seafood/fish recipes.