For the Orange cake
- All purpose flour- 2cups
- Sugar-11/4 cups
- Baking powder- 3/4 tbsp
- Vegetable oil-1/2 cup
- Eggs- 2 nos
- Orange juice- 3/4 cup
- Grated Orange rind- 1or 2 tsp
- Milk -1/4 cup(optional)
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
For the orange sauce
- Orange juice- 1/2 cup
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar , baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Make a well in the center ,add oil,egg yolks,orange juice,milk,vanilla essence and grated orange rind , mix well for 5 minutes or until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until they hold stiff peaks.
- Pour the egg whites over the flour mixture in 3 batches ,folding well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased cake pan.
- Bake at 180 deg C for 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing the cake from the pan
Note :You can also bake this cake in a microwave oven i.e for 8 to 10 minutes on high.(Make the batter thin by adding extra 1/4 cup milk to the flour mixture before adding the egg whites to it)
To prepare the sauce
- Melt butter in a pan ,add sugar and orange juice,bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Drizzle sauce over the cake and serve.