- Kadala/Chickpeas- 1cup
- Onion sliced- 1 medium
- Shallots(Chumanulli) chopped- 3 -4 nos
- Tomato chopped- 1 no
- Green chili- 1no
- Ginger (chopped )- 1″ piece
- Garlic (chopped)-2 to 3 cloves
- Curryleaves- 1 sprig
- Kashmiri chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam masala– 1tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Fennel powder- 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut milk-1 1/2 cups
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Red chili- 3 nos
- Shallots(chumanulli) chopped-2-3 nos
- Wash and soak kadala overnight.
- In a pressure cooker add all the ingredients from 1 to 16, mix well and cook till done( for 3 whistles)
- Allow it to cool and open the lid.
- Put the cooker back on to the stove and heat it (without the lid on )
- You can also grind 2 tbsp cooked kadala from the curry to a smooth paste and add it back to the curry at this point ,if you require a thicker gravy(this is purely optional)
- Add coconut milk ,let it simmer for 10 minutes ,till the gravy thickens.
- Heat oil in a pan,Ad mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves ,red chilies and chopped shallots and saute it till shallots turn golden brown in colour.
- Pour this over the curry.
This curry goes well with puttu,dosa or appam.